Dates for 2022-2023 season
We have some great speakers lined up for this year. Please join us on the second Monday of each month (except for August). Please click on the + sign below for more information.
‘Members Christmas Evening’
Join us for some festive cheer – with Christmas nibbles and soft drinks together with displays from our astrophotographers plus a ‘magic mirror’, pop-up planetarium and telescope/equipment display!
- A 15 minute planetarium show, kindly set up and provided by our member, Annette Hunsley. The show will be based on ‘We are Aliens’ by the National Space Centre. There is room for eight chairs and two or three people sat on the floor in the planetarium. We will hand out tickets on arrival for the five shows that Annette hopes to be able to fit into the evening.
- Astrophotography displays by a three or four of our members. These will be set up around the room, with the photographers bringing along some of their equipment and a laptop to show their photographs and discuss how they get their results.
- A display of methods used and results achieved to take photographs of the path of the sun over a six month period using Solarcan pin hole cameras.
- Discussions around a ‘beginners pack’ of information to help in finding your way around the night sky and understanding the phases of the moon and how and when this can be observed.
- The ‘magic’ mirror, which produces truly amazing hovering 3D images of the night sky.
‘The Volcanic History of the Moon’
A talk by Ms Marissa Lo, The University of Manchester
‘Black Holes Update’
A talk by Professor Derek Ward-Thompson, University of Central Lancashire.
‘Graphene and its uses: Aerospace?’
A talk by Ernie Hill, University of Manchester